India paper crafts report highlights aesthetic, eco-friendly models
Online report features 15 export suppliers offering home decor, stationery and packaging, plus details on product pricing and supply market trends
The online report offers import buyers websites of 15 verified exporter suppliers and profiles home decor, stationery and packaging. It also features an overview of the industry, new product features, price guides and export data. PDFs of each section are available to download for free online.
Visually appealing, environment-friendly designs in style
India paper craft makers are creating more festive designs through the adoption of traditional patterns or detailed artwork depicting the local culture. Home furnishings are embellished with beads, small stones and tassels. Notebooks, notepads and greeting cards come in novelty shapes or feature colorful paisley or elephant prints.
In addition, suppliers are “innovating their products by featuring decorative elements such as zardosi and aari, which are typically showcased in women’s traditional garments, to illuminate the culture and heritage of India,” said Pragya Bhatnagar, export consultant for the Hinrich Foundation.
In terms of materials, paper craft makers are using paper made from recycled textiles or newspaper. Some companies combine handmade paper with jute, bamboo and other sustainable materials.
Suppliers and products
Paper Theatre, which has been in business since 2000, offers greeting cards, writing pads, lanterns, journals, writing sets, wrapping paper and gift boxes. Located in New Delhi, the company’s products typically feature bold colors and intricate patterns.
Waste Craft, also in New Delhi, produces baskets, vases, lanterns and other home furnishings made from recycled newspaper. The company was incorporated in 2017.
Kalpana Handmade Paper Industries, which was founded in 1994, offers handmade paper, greeting cards and gift bags. The supplier is based in Rajasthan.
In addition to Paper Theatre, Waste Craft and Kalpana Handmade Paper Industries, suppliers featured in the report are:
– Alliance Exim, Rajasthan: Printed paper bags, diaries and gift boxes.
– Ashrafi International, Rajasthan: Diaries, notebooks, gift bags and boxes.
– Crafting Gifts, Gujarat: Gift boxes and scrapbooks.
– Gandhi Paper Crafts, Telangana: Lampshades, diaries, photo albums, notebooks and handmade paper.
– Harivrund Paper Crafts & Arts, Gujarat: Paper lanterns and flowers.
– Karakhil Creations, Uttar Pradesh: Greeting cards, jewelry boxes and wine boxes.
– Lamps of India, New Delhi: Star-shaped paper lamps.
– MS Handmade Paper Works, Uttar Pradesh: Gift bags and boxes, diaries and notebooks.
– Papertrail India, Kerala: Gift bags and boxes, and lanterns.
– The Lotus Handicrafts, Uttar Pradesh: Gift bags and boxes, photo albums, envelopes and handmade paper.
– U.K. Exim, New Delhi: Paper ornaments.
– Utsav Cards, Telangana: Handmade paper, gift bags and boxes, and greeting cards.
The report further shows:
– Paper crafts are not tracked independently by customs, but interviewed suppliers estimate that it accounts for 20 to 25 percent of paper products exported from India. In 2016, the country sent abroad approximately $226.9 million worth of office books, forms, packing containers and other paper products under HS codes 4817 and 4819, according to data from the DESA/UNSD, United Nations Comtrade database.
– Survey results indicate that many suppliers will raise prices to cover higher raw material costs, but increases will be kept within 10 percent.
India Sourcing Report: Paper crafts 2017 is one of a series of online Sourcing Reports covering emerging Asia supply markets. A full version of the report can be viewed here.
Sourcing from India buyer’s guide
To help buyers new to India sourcing, the Hinrich Foundation has prepared a guide that provides an overview of the industries and products available.
Buyers will also learn how to find and evaluate reliable suppliers, available banking options, common methods of payment, shipping details and steps to avoid or settle trade disputes.Download the report