Hong Kong Baptist University

Hong Kong Baptist University - Trade scholarship & careers
Welcome to the Hinrich Foundation’s Orientation page for all Global Trade Leaders attending Hong Kong Baptist University. Below you will find a list of informational resources related to student life in Hong Kong. These have been created by our current scholars to better prepare you for your arrival and ensure the smoothest transition when you start university. Have a great first semester and congratulations again on being chosen for the Hinrich Global Leadership Program!
Pre-arrival – Before you get to school

Online application

This is the first step of the admission process after you sign the Mou with Hinrich Foundation. Go to https://ar.hkbu.edu.hk/~gs/index.php, choose the “Taught Postgraduate Programme” section, fill in the online application and then send application number by email to Department of Journalism. Please advance 300HKD to settle the online application fee using credit card, which will be reimbursed from your incidentals allowance paid at the start of each semester. Make sure to save a copy of your online application form after you finished the filling for later reference.

Official transcript(s) for the qualification(s)

After receiving Acceptance letter from Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) for your admission to the program, you will be asked to send Official transcript(s) for the qualification(s) of your previous education (bachelor program). It will be better to prepare this beforehand to avoid the long-taking process, requesting your previous university to certify your transcript(s) and seal in an envelope with an official chop affixed to it. The transcript has to be translated into English and certified and sent to BU by school; or at least to be put in a school’s envelope with the BU’s address on it. The BU also asks for the IELTS certificate. Scholars no need to send the original copy, they can request IELTS centers to provide them with IELTS Additional TRFs. In order to save posting fee, these two docs should be sent together.

Additional payment(s)

Any additional payments during the application process such as document courier will be covered by the scholarship. You will need to pay in advance but they will be reimbursed later on from your incidentals allowance paid together with your living allowance at the start of each semester.

Travel Insurance

This is an important benefit and also a must that you have to obtain before you depart to Hong Kong for study. Because we have scholars from different countries, we need you to contact local travel agencies to propose an appropriate travel insurance plan to provide comprehensive coverage for overseas medical assist, personal accident assist and travel assist over the period from the departure date for study to the date back to home country in each semester. After Hinrich Foundation approves the plan, you will advance to buy the insurance plan and will be reimbursed later on.

Visa application for South East Asians

Visa application will be handled by HKBU, all you need to do is filling in the Additional Information for Student Visa Application form – ID995A, and send to HKBU along with a copy of your Passport.  You can find it here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/id995a.html. It will normally take around 6-8 weeks for the Immigration Department to finish the process before sending the visa to you by post.


Hinrich postgraduate scholars will reside in NTT International House during the program. All you need to do is submitting the NTT Application Form to the Department as soon as possible in order to confirm your place.

Flight ticket

You can book the flight ticket for yourself and get the reimbursement later when you are in Hong Kong. Another way is requesting the coordinator at Journalism Department to book the ticket for you. You will do the same at the end of semester 2 to get the flight ticket to go back to your home country.

Before take-off

Make sure you have made copies of all related documents in both hard and soft copies (including all confirmation documents of your applications (program/ accommodation/ visa…) and personal identities (passport/ your id in home country as you might need it later for banking process).
In terms of packing, you should bring along the below items
  • Enough money to spend for the first month, in case there is any problem with your stipend (minimum 500 US$ as a suggestion).
  • Enough cool and warm clothes (one or two extra warm coats for study trip to Europe) and shoes for cold weather in the EU.
  • A suit and tie (as for males) for formal occasions.
  • One pair of sport shoes for daily use and one pair of formal shoes for special use.
  • Some studying tools (notebooks, pens…) or you can buy more later.
  • ID photos (3x4cm and 4x6cm) with white background and both ears exposure
  • Some instant foods in case you cannot find your proper food in the first period.
  • Some quick medications (first-aid, fever, headache, digestion…).
  • Anything else depends on your demand.
Arrival : Getting from the airport, ID Cards and Banking The most convenient and cheapest way to go to HKBU from the airport is by using Citybus. Ask the Information Desk or follow the signs to get to the Airport Bus Centre (Ground Transportation Centre). The bus number that take you straight to HKBU is E22 heading to Lam Tin (North). Before you board the bus, buy an Octopus card, recharge if you already have one or prepare exactly 18 HK$ in notes and/or coins (as the bus driver will not give you the changes). Below is the E22 route:
1 AsiaWorld-Expo
2 Airport (Ground Transportation Centre)
3 Cathay City, Chun Ming Road
4 Chek Lap Kok Fire Station, Catering Road East
5 Cathay Pacific Catering Services, Catering Road East
6 Chun Wan Road South, Chun Wan Road
7 Air Freight Forwarding Centre, Chun Wan Road
8 Asia Airfreight Terminal, Chun Ping Road
9 Chek Lap Kok South Road
10 Tung Chung Cable Car Terminal, Tat Tung Road
11 Citygate, Tat Tung Road
12 Yu Tung Court, Shun Tung Road
13 Lantau Link Toll Plaza
14 Chak Yan Centre, Cornwall Street
15 Shek Kip Mei Park, Cornwall Street
16 Ede Road, Cornwall Street
17 Kam Shing Road, Junction Road (HKBU)  
HKBU bus-stop
After you have arrived at HKBU bus-stop, find your way to NTT International House which locates at the new Campus on the eastern side of Junction Road from this bus-stop (see the big building on the right in this image for reference.


You should open a local bank account to keep your allowance safe because you will receive the allowance for a whole semester. You will get a cheque for the total allowance of each semester from Finance Office (Sir Run Run Shaw Building, Ho Sin Hang Campus) and cash it at Hang Seng Bank at the downstairs of office. There are 2 mini banks on campus – Hang Seng Bank and the Bank of East Asia (BEA) on the Baptist University Road Campus (near the University’s book store). You are recommended to open the bank account with the latter bank because the process is simpler and faster. Automated teller machines (ATM’s) are also available at the banks. If you wish to open a bank account with either one of the banks, you will be asked to provide these following documents
  • Travel documents (e.g. passport)
  • HKBU admission letter
  • Proof of residential address in Hong Kong – You may obtain a letter from NTT International House where you are living
Noted: Normally the process will take 2 weeks to 1 month so please bring enough money to spend during the 1st month when waiting for stipend and bank account opened.
Classes: Course preparation and reviews
  For International Journalism Concentration Units
  JOUR7010 * International Relations Theory & Practice OR 3
  JOUR7020 * Comparative & International News 3
  JOUR7040 Multimedia Journalism (for non-IJ students) 3
  JOUR7050 Newsgathering for International Practice 3
  JOUR7060 News and Feature Writing 3
  JOUR7100 Advanced News Writing and Production for International Practice 3
  For Business and Financial Journalism Concentration Units
  JOUR7010 * International Relations Theory and Practices OR 3
  JOUR7020 * Comparative & International News 3
  JOUR7060 News and Feature Writing 3
  JOUR7150 Business News Writing 3
  JOUR7160 Principles of Economics 3
  JOUR7170 Business and Finance 3
  JOUR7180 Advanced Business News Writing and Production 3
  JOUR7010 * International Relations Theory and Practice 3
  JOUR7020 * Comparative & International News 3
  JOUR7030 Research Methods in Media and Communication 3
  JOUR7040 Multimedia Journalism (for non-IJ students) 3
  JOUR7070 Theories of Journalism and Communication 3
  JOUR7080 Current Issues and Case Studies in International News 3
  JOUR7090 International News Translation 3
  JOUR7110 Reporting International Conflict 3
  JOUR7120 International Business and Financial Reporting (only for non-BFJ students) 3
  JOUR7130 Project or Dissertation 3
  JOUR7140 Globalisation, Economics and Finance 3
  JOUR7210 Long-form Journalism # 3
  JOUR7220 Photojournalism # 3
  JOUR7230 Broadcast Journalism # 3
  JOUR7240 Online and Digital Journalism # 3
  JOUR7250 Reporting China and Hong Kong 3
  JOUR7260 Reporting Southeast Asia 3
  JOUR7270 Entrepreneurial Journalism 3
Students from both “International Journalism” and “Business and Financial Journalism” concentrations are required to take either “JOUR7010 International Relations Theory and Practice” or “JOUR7020 Comparative & International News” as their core course.  The course not chosen as A Core course can be taken as AN Elective.
# Students can only choose from one of these 4 skills courses

Some suggested websites to browse especially the headline news:

Notes for exams

  • Preciseness counts. Make sure to follow the exact instructions of any assignment. Read exam regulations and follow exam schedules as well as other information from student’s account on BUniport system.
  • Try to answer the assignments by indicating somehow that the student has learned something from the reference books.
  • Be up dated about at least the headlines around the world.
  • Must remember the trend of the theories relating to media and communications.
  • Try to write extra stories in the blog assigned by the teachers.
  • Try to build up sources relating to NGOs, different types of business, individuals. This will help to find stories easily at many times needed. For example, at places where Hinrich Foundation holds bazaars, there are many NGOs participating.
Except for the final exams, students might have essays, presentation or other projects that depend on course and teacher’s requirement.

Preparation before coming to study MAIJS in Hong Kong

  • Try to grasp the basic of establishing one’s own blog. (wordpress for example)
  • Basic photography technique.
  • International news, types of news, types of media, be familiar with structure of news, the difference of local news style and international news style
  • Learn about Hong Kong
Have a glance on some literary review of theories relating to the media.
Work-integrated learning: Internship in-between studies


Work integrated learning (WIL) is the approach that Hinrich Foundation provides towards each scholarship. The WIL approach includes, besides academic degrees, professional work experiences between study periods and a career upon graduation. This equips scholars with not only a career-oriented study and practical skills for the international trade industry, but also best prepare them to add value to companies right when they start work.


After finishing the semester 1 at HKBU, you will go back to your home country to start the work placement in between studies with Hinrich Foundation or one of its corporate partners for 12 months. You then will go back to Hong Kong to study the semester 2 of the next academic year.

Internship relocation fee

Hinrich Foundation or the Employer who offers the internship will sponsor the round trip airfares to relocate the scholar for the internship. This includes the airfare to go from Hong Kong to the assigned internship location (mostly your home country) to start the internship and then go back to Hong Kong for the semester 2 after the internship. If you want to travel somewhere outside the itinerary above, you need to discuss and get the agreement from the Employer. Extra costs incurred are at your expenses. You should contact Hinrich Foundation’s Education coordinator one month before your departure dates to arrange the air tickets for your internship relocation.

Study Tour

Because you have one-year break in-between two semesters for the internship, you will have a study tour in the semester 2 of the next academic year. HKBU will inform you the options for the study tour around August during your internship period. If you wish to take one study tour, please note with Hinrich Foundation and work with HKBU to arrange visa and other documents needed for the tour. Hinrich Foundation sponsors half of the tour cost with the cap up to US$1,000. Other expenses such as visa application fees will be borne by the scholar.

Housing and Study resumption

Before you finish semester 1, please note with HKBU to reserve bed space for you in the semester 2 of the next academic year. NTT International House will contact you around October/ November during your internship period to register for the bed space of semester 2. To ensure your bed space, you should notify HKBU/ Hinrich Foundation in August about this. You will have to send visa application documents to HKBU by November of your internship period to get the Hong Kong student visa again to resume the study.
Living in Hong Kong Baptist University – Housing, shopping and other establishments

NTT International House

Graduate students are housed in NTT international house. You will share a room (and bathroom) with a fellow student.

Free Facilities Services

  • Private bathroom in each room with shower closet
  • Individually controlled air-conditioner with heating function.
  • Satellite television
  • Refrigerator
  • Electric kettle
  • Furniture and bedding
  • Local call
  • 24-hour hot/cold water and electricity supply
  • Basic cleaning
  • Mailbox

Contacts and Further Information for the NTT International House

  • Email:       santtsr@hkbu.edu.hk
  • Phone:       3411-2035
  • Address:  32 Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong


Virtually, all buildings and places are air-conditioned but few have heating. Local dress ranges from smart casual to conservative business suits. In the summer, cool and loose-fitting clothing is recommended for outdoor wear. During winter, warm cloth is needed because most of the buildings do not have centre heating. Since Hong Kong is still humid during winter months, 10 degree C in Hong Kong feels much colder because of the wind and humidity. In Hong Kong, as a general rule, it is not preferred for students to wear too casually (e.g. flip flops) for official ceremonies or events.

Shopping Centre Nearby

There are two large shopping centres within 15-mintue walk from the campus You will find it very convenient to purchase your personal items/foods/ snacks at these locations.


The vast majority of shops are open every day. Generally, shops are open from 10:00 a.m. to 9 p.m. But there are exceptions. Stores in busy retail areas like Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui stay open even later, perharp until 9:30 p.m. Those in Central, meanwhile, usually close at 7:00 p.m.
Here are the list restaurants/ canteens around the campus which are chosen by most of the students

Main canteen

Location: Campus, in between the North and the South Student Halls Opening Hours:
  • Mon to Sat: 06:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
  • Sun: need to be confirmed
  • Public Holidays: Closed

Café de Coral canteen

Location: Level 5, Academic and Administration Building, Hong Kong Baptist University Road Campus Student Cafeteria provides fast food service with single dishes, set meals etc. Capacity: 240 Seats in Main Canteen Opening Hours:
  • Mon to Fri: 07:30 a.m. to 08:00 p.m.
  • Sat: 08:00 a.m. to 06:00 p.m.
  • Sun & Public Holidays: Closed
Contact: Tel. 2697 6607 / 2697 6533

BU Fiesta

Location: G5, G/F, HKBU Student Hostel Cuisine served: rice, noodles, pasta and sandwiches

Bistro Bon Restaurant

Location: G/F, Dr. Ng Tor Tai International House, 32 Renfrew Road The restaurant serves a tempting range of Mediterranean and Asian delicacies using overseas imported ingredients, all crafted by our master chef in creative ways. Opening Hours:
  • Mon-Sat: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
  • Sun & Public Holidays: 12:00 noon – 10:00 p.m.
  • Sun & Public Holidays: Closed
Contact: Tel. 2628 0330

Renfrew Chinese Restaurant

Location: Level 2, David C Lam Building Student Cafeteria provides fast food service with single dishes, set meals etc. It has a great dim sum and hot pot. Students will get 20% discount. People don’t speak English there so bring your Chinese friends. Opening Hours:
  • Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
  • Sat: 7:30 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.
  • Sun/Public Holidays: Closed
Contact: Tel. 2434 0224

Starbucks Coffee

Location: 1/F, Jockey Club Academic Community Centre Please show your student card to receive student discount. Opening Hours:
  • Mon-Fri: 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
  • Sat: 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
  • Sun & Public Holidays: 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m

Lok Fu Plaza (10mn walk from HKBU, NTT)

Lok Fu Plaza has become a major shopping destination in central Kowloon for shoppers of all ages and interests.

Kowloon Wet Market (20mn walk from HKBU, NTT)

Where you can find almost every fresh food in local market. It is relatively cheaper than the supermarket (UNY, PARKNSHOP,etc).

Festival Walk

It is next to Kowloon Tong (subway/railway) Station. You can also try meal at the canteen of City University of Hong Kong near Festival Walk.

List of other Restaurants/ Cafe on Campus

  • Harmony Staff Dining Room: Level 4, Sir Run Run Shaw Building, Ho Sin Hang Campus
  • Harmony Student Cafeteria: Level 4, Fong Shu Chuen Library, Ho Sin Hang Campus
  • Pacific Coffee: Level 1, Jockey Club Academic Community Center, Baptist Road Campus
  • Renfrew Restaurant: Level 2, DLB building, Shaw Campus
  • iCafe: Level 3, The Wing Lung Bank for Business Campus (near Li Promenade)
Transportation – How to get around


Hong Kong Baptist University 1 Most convenient transportation in Hong Kong is MTR (Mass Transit Railway). It is cheap for students. When you arrive, you will apply for student card with 50 percent discount for your travel.

Public transport in Hong Kong

  • No. 25M (HK$4.90) runs between Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange and Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).If the green mini-buses depart from the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange, they stop at Suffolk Road, Norfolk Road, Waterloo Road, Hereford Road, Renfrew Road, La Salle Road, Carpenter Road, and the last stop is Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).If the green mini-buses depart from Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road), they stop at Tung Kwong Road, Nga Tsin Wai Road, Carpenter Road, Junction Road, Price Edward Road West, Renfrew Road, and the last stop is the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange.
  • Green Mini-Buses. The green mini-buses run circular routes.  The following mini-buses provide service from the University to Kowloon Tong or to Kowloon City.  Passengers must tender exact fares. They accept cash and the Octopus card.
  • Public Light Buses (Green mini buses, red mini buses). Most mini-buses accept the Octopus card.
  • No. 72 (HK$5.50) runs between Green View Garden and Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus. If the green mini-buses depart from Green View Garden, they stop at Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), Wong Tai Shi Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Nga Chuk Street (Chuk Yuen South Estate), Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Wong KCR Station).If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Wong Tai Sin Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), and the last stop is Grand View Garden.
  • No. 73 (HK$5.50) runs between Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station) and Tsz Wan Shan Centre. If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Tsz Wan Shan Road, Wai Wah Street, and the last stop is Tsz Wan Shan Centre.If the green mini-buses depart from Tsz Wan Shan Centre, they stop at Wai Wah Street, Tsz Wan Sha Road, Shatin Pass Road, Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station).
  • Red Mini-Buses. Red Mini-Buses are free to operate anywhere, except where special prohibitions apply, without control over routes or fares.  They have no designated stops  and stop anywhere anytime someone wants to get on or off.  Most mini-buses accept the Octopus card.  If you want to take the red mini-buses, you need to know the area and it helps to be able to speak the Cantonese phrase – “ng goi, yau lohk”, which means you want to get off.

Some websites relating to public buses

  • The Kowloon Motor Bus Company (1933) Limited (KMB) http://www.kmb.hk/
  • Citybus Limited & New World First Bus Services Limited (NWFB)  http://www.nwstbus.com.hk
  • Long Win Bus Company Limited http://www.lwb.hk/en/

Trains (East Rail Line)

Trains on the East Rail Line provide service from the heart of the city to the New Territories or Mainland boundary at “Lo Wu” or “Lok Ma Chau” for Shenzhen and Guangzhou, Beijing or Shanghai.

Octopus Cards

You can use the Octopus card (stored-value pass) to pay the fare on the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) and most of the buses and mini-buses. Students can enjoy concessionary fares; students must travel by a Personalized Octopus Card with “Student Status”. Details can be seen at the following website, click here. Octopus cards can also be used at some selected convenience stores, fast food chains, supermarkets and bakeries.
Volunteer activities with Hinrich Foundation
You will submit your study timetable to the Scholar Coordinator. He/ she will consider your availability to arrange some volunteer activities for you. You can also actively join/ suggest with Hinrich Foundation trade-related activities which you think will benefit the Foundation and your personal growth. Some of activities include: Scholar gathering
You will have opportunities to network with your peers, alumni and the Foundation team and its partners to build up relationship, improve your professionalism and learn from others. On-campus clubs and international travel For more activities, visit here.
      • Clubs: Hiking, photography, dancing, martial arts,etc
      • Global Café where you can meet exchange and international students in Pacific Coffee
      • Conrad Hotel Bazaars and other bazaars with Hinrich Foundation Scholars
      • Others: Media Salons, Reception,etc.

Travelling outside Hong Kong

If you are planning to travel outside Hong Kong during holidays, please notice the people who are responsible and your friends, such as your travel itinerary and contact details,etc. It is not recommended that you travel when classes are in section, since class attendance is required and expected.

Extra passport photos

It is recommended that you bring with you 4-6 extra passport photos. You will need these for various travel documents from time to time. If you don’t have them, you can make them after you arrive Hong Kong. Automatic passport photo booths appear in many MTR stations (e.g. Prince Edward, MongKok) or Fotomax at the Lok Fu Plaza (Shop No. 1162A, 1/F.)

Travelling to China

International students who are travelling into Mainland China (PRC) must obtain a tourist visa prior to departure. For Vietnamese passport holders, if it is the first time you travel to China, you need to apply your visa at Chinese Embassy at your home country. (No need, Vietnamese students can apply for Chinese visas in Hong Kong, as long as their Hong Kong visas have at least 3 months remained valid.)


  • 7th Floor, Lower Block, China Resources Building,
  • No.26, Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong SAR

Office Hours

  • Monday to Friday (except Hong Kong public holidays)
  • 9:00-12:00 & 14:00-17:00

Enquiry Service

  • Tel- Enquiry : 24 hour Recorded Visa Information Service: 852-34132300
  • Live Answering Telephone: 852-34132424 (available at 10:00-11:00am, 3:00-4:00pm on workdays)
  • Fax: 852-34132312
  • Email: fmcovisa_hk@mfa.gov.cn
  • Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the P.R.China, visit here.

What not to bring?

When travelling to China, do take note that prohibited items including milk powders, printed matters, films, photos, gramophone records, cinematographic films, loaded recording tapes/video tapes, CDs, and articles which deemed are detrimental to the political, economic, cultural, and moral interest of China.
    Emergency numbers and contacts


    Dr. Judith Clarke

    • Associate Professor; Coordinator, International Journalism
    • Email: jlc@hkbu.edu.hk
    • Phone: (852) 3411-7465


    • Fire, ambulance, Police:999
    • University Health Services Centre: 3411-7447
    • Dental Clinic: 3411-2525
    • Medical Clinic: 3411-7447
    • Chinese Medicine Specialty Clinic: 3411-2929
    • Security 24-hour: 3411-7777


    For Postgraduate students: NTT International House Room Number (Insert Room number as assigned) Hong Kong Baptist University 32 Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon Hong Kong


    HKBU Campus Map