Hong Kong Polytechnic University

  • Hong Kong Polytechnic University 1
  • 1

Welcome to the Hinrich Foundation’s Orientation page for all Global Trade Leaders attending Hong Kong Polytechnic University!

Below you will find a list of informational resources related to student life in Hong Kong. These have been created by our current scholars attending HKPU and Education Program to better prepare you for your arrival and ensure the smoothest transition when you start university.

Have a great first semester and congratulations again on being chosen for the Hinrich Global Trade Leadership Program!

Pre-arrival – Before ycou get to school

Before take-off

Make sure you have made copies of all related documents in both hard and electronic copies (including all confirmation documents of your applications (program/ accommodation/ visa) and personal identification cards (passport/ your id in home country as you might need it later for banking process).

 In terms of packing, you should bring along the below items

  • Enough money to spend for the first month, in case there is any problem with your stipend (minimum 500 US$ as a suggestion).
  • Enough cool and warm clothes (one or two extra warm coats for study trip to Europe)
  • A suit and tie (as for males) for formal occasions.
  • One pair of sport shoes for daily use and one pair of formal shoes for special use.
  • Some studying tools (notebooks, pens, pencils) or you can buy more later.
  • Some instant foods just in case.
  • Some quick medications (first-aid, fever, headache, digestion).
  • Anything else depends on your desires and needs.

Arrival : Getting from the airport, ID Cards and Banking

Getting from the Airport to PolyU

The most convenient way to get to PolyU from the airport is by using the Citybus. Ask the Information Desk or follow the signs to get to the Airport Bus Centre (Ground Transportation Centre).

The bus number that takes you straight to PolyU is A22 heading to Lam Tin Station. Before you board the bus, buy an Octopus card, recharge if you already have one or prepare exactly 39 HK$ in notes and/or coins (as the bus driver will not give you the changes). Below is the A22 route:

1 Airport (Ground Transportation Centre) 39.0
Lantau Link Toll Plaza 26.0
3 Shanghai Street, Jordan Road 7.0
4 Chi Wo Street, Jordan Road 7.0
5 Wylie Road, Gascoigne Road (close to main campus) 7.0
6 Valley Road, Chatham Road North (close to Homantin Residence Hall) 7.0

Or you can take A21 heading to Hong Hom where you can find your way to Hong Hom Residence Hall easily. It takes 33HK$.

1 Airport (Ground Transportation Centre) 33.0
2 Lantau Link Toll Plaza 26.0
3 AquaMarine, Sham Mong Road 8.0
4 Fat Tseung Street West, Sham Mong Road 8.0
5 Metropark Hotel Mongkok, Lai Chi Kok Road 8.0
6 Argyle Centre, Nathan Road 8.0
7 Bank Centre, Nathan Road 8.0
8 Sino Centre, Nathan Road 8.0
9 Man Ming Lane, Nathan Road 8.0
10 Nathan Hotel, Nathan Road 8.0
11 Prudential Centre, Nathan Road 8.0
12 Kimberley Road, Nathan Road 8.0
13 Cameron Road, Nathan Road 8.0
14 Middle Road, Nathan Road 8.0
15 New World Centre, Salisbury Road 8.0
16 Mody Road, Chatham Road South 8.0
17 Granville Road, Chatham Road South 8.0
18 Hong Kong Science Museum, Chatham Road South 8.0
19 Hung Hom Station (close to Hong Hom Residence Hall)

Walk to Student Halls in 10 minutes: Find Exit B in MTR Hung Hom Station, then follow Exit B1 to a footbridge via Royal Peninsula to Student Halls

Hong Kong Identity Card

If you will be in Hong Kong more than 6 months, you need to obtain a HKID card. However, you must always have photo identification (e.g. your travel documents) with you at all times.

Opening a bank account

There are 2 mini banks on the PolyU campus – Hang Seng Bank and the Bank of Eat Asia. Automated teller machines (ATM’s) are also available near VA core building.

If you wish to open a bank account with either one of the banks, you will be asked to provide these following documents

  • Travel documents (e.g. passport)
  • PolyU admission letter;
  • Proof of residential address in Hong Kong

Noted: Normally the process will take 2 weeks to 1 month so please bring enough money to spend during the 1st month when waiting for stipend and your bank account being opened.

Hong Kong Identity Card

If you will be in Hong Kong more than 6 months, you need to obtain a HKID card. However, you must always have photo identification (e.g. your travel documents) with you at all times.

Living at Hong Kong Polytechnic University


All Hinrich scholars are housed in Hong Hom Halls or Homantin Halls, newly admitted research students will normally be assigned to the postgraduate Boyan Hall in Hung Hom for better support. If Boyan Hall is fully occupied, students will be assigned to Homantin Halls of Residence, subject to availability.

Hong Hom Halls

The Hung Hom Halls is located at 1 Hung Lai Road, Hung Hom.

The Halls are within a 15-minute walk from the P-core of PolyU campus via a covered footbridge. The Hung Hom Halls contain a grand dining hall, a fitness room, a band room, piano practice rooms, activity rooms, a landscaped garden and a 25-meter swimming pool. All student rooms are equipped with IP phones, LAN ports, air-conditioners & furniture and designed for double or triple occupancy, with toilet and shower facilities shared by 4 to 5 students

Contacts and further information for the Hong Hom Halls

Student Halls of Residence (Hung Hom)

  • Hall Reception: G/F, East Wing lobby
  • Opening Hours: 08:30 – 23:00 (Close at meal hours at 13:00 – 14:00 & 19:30 – 20:30 respectively)
  • Enquiries: 3159 0000
  • Email: sahall@polyu.edu.hk

Homantin Halls

The Homantin Halls is conveniently located in the residential area of Homantin, within 15-minute walking distance to the Lee Shau Kee Building on campus. It is next to the Homantin MTR Station of the Shatin to Central Link which is currently under construction.

Student Rooms It provides single room, double and triple rooms to suit the needs of different students. The design of 9-person-suite facilitates the formation of small communities among residents and thus encourages interaction and integration, while offer adequate privacy to students. A small communal space is included in each unit to offer students a platform for mingling and interaction.

Communal Space

There are 3 Sky Gardens, each shared by and linking 2 individual halls. The Sky Garden is a semi outdoor space which encourages interflow among different halls and offers a pleasant environment for leisure. Apart from the Sky Gardens, other outdoor space includes Podium Garden and Entrance Plaza, all of which are tastefully landscaped to create a pleasant living environment. Besides, the Central Student Lounges in each hall, communal areas at corridor ends and living rooms in each cluster are also great platforms for students’ interflow.


Comprehensive facilities are also provided, including dining hall, fitness room, music practice rooms, dance room, multi-purpose activity rooms, exhibition area for large-scale functions, laundries and management offices.

Contacts and further information for the Homantin Halls Student Halls of Residence (Homantin)

  • Hall Reception: G/F, North Wing lobby
  • Opening Hours: 08:30 – 23:00
  • Enquiries: 3996 2000
  • Email: sahmt@polyu.edu.hk


Virtually all buildings and places are air-conditioned but few have heating. Local dress ranges from smart casual to conservative business suits.

In the summer, cool and loose-fitting clothing is recommended for outdoor wear.

During winter, warm cloth is needed because most of the buildings do not have centre. Since Hong Kong is still humid during winter months, 10 degree C in Hong Kong feels much colder because of the wind and humidity.

In Hong Kong, as a general rule, it is not preferred for students to wear clothes that are too casual (e.g. flip flops) for official ceremonies or events

Shopping centers nearby

Since PolyU is located in Hong Hom, a relatively old and traditional district in Hong Kong, a lot of small shops on the streets located around the campus and residence halls as well for all kinds of goods and foods. It is very convenient to live in PolyU and taste the feeling as being one of the local Hong Kong citizens. Also, it is very convenient to go to Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok east for shopping.

Transportation – How to get around

Most convenient transportation in Hong Kong is MTR ( Mass Transit Railway). It is cheap for students. When you arrive, you will apply for student card with 50 percent discount for your travel

Click here to find a list of MTR maps.

Public transport in Hong Kong

  • Public Light Buses:Green Mini-Buses The green mini-buses run circular routes.  The following mini-buses provide service from the University to Kowloon Tong or to Kowloon City.  Passengers must tender exact fares. They accept cash and the Octopus card.
  • No. 25M(HK$4.90) runs between Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange and Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).
  • If the green mini-buses depart from the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange, they stop at Suffolk Road, Norfolk Road, Waterloo Road, Hereford Road, Renfrew Road, La Salle Road, Carpenter Road, and the last stop is Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road).
  • If the green mini-buses depart from Tung Tau Estate (Tung Lung Road), they stop at Tung Kwong Road, Nga Tsin Wai Road, Carpenter Road, Junction Road, Price Edward Road West, Renfrew Road, and the last stop is the Kowloon Tong (Suffolk Road) Public Transport Interchange.
  • No. 72 (HK$5.50) runs between Green View Garden and Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus.
  • If the green mini-buses depart from Green View Garden, they stop at Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), Wong Tai Shi Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Nga Chuk Street (Chuk Yuen South Estate), Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Wong KCR Station).
  • If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Wong Tai Sin Road (Wong Tai Sin Temple), Fung Tak Road (Fung Tak Estate), and the last stop is Grand View Garden.
  • No. 73(HK$5.50) runs between Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station) and Tsz Wan Shan Centre.
  • If the green mini-buses depart from Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station), they stop at Tat Chee Avenue (City University of Hong Kong), Cornwall Street, Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Chuk Yuen Road (Chuk Yuen Estate), Tsz Wan Shan Road, Wai Wah Street, and the last stop is Tsz Wan Shan Centre.
  • If the green mini-buses depart from Tsz Wan Shan Centre, they stop at Wai Wah Street, Tsz Wan Sha Road, Shatin Pass Road, Chuk Yuen Road (Tin Wang Court), Junction Road (Hong Kong Baptist University), Cornwall Street, and the last stop is Festival Walk Public Transport Terminus (Kowloon Tong KCR Station).

Public Light Buses: Red Mini-Buses

Red Mini-Buses are free to operate anywhere, except where special prohibitions apply, without control over routes or fares.  They have no designated stops and stop anywhere anytime someone wants to get on or off.  Most mini-buses accept the Octopus card.  If you want to take the red mini-buses, you need to know the area and it helps to be able to speak the Cantonese phrase – “ng goi, yau lohk”, which means you want to get off.

Trains (East Rail Line)

Trains on the East Rail Line provide service from the heart of the city to the New Territories or Mainland boundary at “Lo Wu” or “Lok Ma Chau” for Shenzhen and Guangzhou, Beijing or Shanghai.

  • Octopus Cards
    You can use the Octopus card (stored-value pass) to pay the fare on the Mass Transit Railway (MTR) and most of the buses and mini-buses.
  • Students can enjoy concessionary fares; students must travel by a Personalized Octopus Card with “Student Status”. Details can be seen at the following website.
  • Octopus cards can also be used at some selected convenience stores, fast food chains, supermarkets and bakeries

Activities – On-campus clubs and international travel

On-campus clubs

There are many affiliated clubs in PolyU under the Students Union.

Mainly there are four big divisions

Entertainment Division

E.g. Chinese Orchestra, Dancing Society, Drama Club, Music Society

Recreational Division

E.g. Astronomy, Photographic Society

Cultural Division

E.g. Cartoons Art Society, Literary Club, Modeling Club, Social Service Club

Sports division

E.g. Archery Club, Jodo Club, Kratedo club, Polyvelly Club, Polytennis Club, Soccer Club, Rugby Club

Traveling outside Hong Kong

If you are planning to travel outside Hong Kong during holidays, please notice the people who are responsible and your friends, such as your travel itinerary and contact details,etc.

It is not recommended that you travel when classes are in section, since class attendance is required and expected.

Extra passport photos

It is recommended that you bring with you 4-6 extra passport photos. You will need these for various travel documents from time to time.

If you don’t have them, you can make them after you arrive Hong Kong. Automatic passport photo booths appear in many MTR stations (e.g. Prince Edward, MongKok) or Fotomax at the Lok Fu Plaza (Shop No. 1162A, 1/F.)

Travelling to China

International students who are travelling into Mainland China (PRC) must obtain a tourist visa prior to departure.

For Vietnamese passport holders, if it is the first time you travel to China, you need to apply your visa at Chinese Embassy at your home country.

Chinese Embassy contact information


7th Floor, Lower Block, ChinaResourcesBuilding,

No.26, Harbor Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong SAR

Office Hours

Monday to Friday (except Hong Kongpublic holidays,)


Enquiry Service

  • Tel- Enquiry
  • 24 hour Recorded Visa Information Service: 852-34132300
  • Live Answering Telephone: 852-34132424 (available at 10:00-11:00am, 3:00-4:00pm on workdays)
  • Fax: 852-34132312
  • Email: fmcovisa_hk@mfa.gov.cn

Website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the P.R.China, click here.

What not to bring?

When travelling to China, do take note that prohibited items including milk powders, printed matters, films, photos, gramophone records, cinematographic films, loaded recording tapes/video tapes, CDs, and articles which deemed are detrimental to the political, economic, cultural, and moral interest of China.