Digital Trade Research
About our digital trade research
At the Hinrich Foundation we consider open digital trade to be a growth opportunity for countries as well as an enabler of major productivity improvements for sectors beyond the digital sector. However, we identified that policymakers, businesses and other stakeholders needed more information to have a robust discussion about ways to harness the benefits and manage potential risks related to digital trade.
Together with local business community groups, we commissioned AlphaBeta to size the value of the digital trade opportunity (both for exports and the domestic economy) and to assess risks for eight economies in the Asia-Pacific – Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam.
Our objectives for this research project included:
- Sizing the value of the digital trade opportunity for exports and the domestic economy
- Measuring the opportunity cost of having a closed digital policy
- Identifying the risks of an open digital policy and ways to address them
- Recommending key policy actions for helping economies harness the benefits and manage potential risks
View our latest digital trade report
Hinrich Foundation and AlphaBeta released a report on May 31, 2019, titled “The Data Revolution: How Philippines can capture the digital trade opportunity at home and abroad.” The report measures the current contribution and potential future impacts of digital trade to the Philippine economy.
The report also formulates specific policy recommendations for capturing the digital trade opportunity and for managing potential risks. According to the report, digital trade also enables benefits for domestic firms in the Philippines, particularly in non-digital sectors.
The value of digital trade-induced benefits is currently estimated to be around is ₱160 billion (US$ 3.2 billion, which is equivalent to 1.8% of the country’s GDP) and to have the potential to grow 12-fold by 2030 to reach ₱1.9 trillion (US$37 billion) by 2030. The growth potential arises from improved penetration rates of digital technologies, particularly for MSMEs.
All digital trade reports
In the news
- Hinrich Foundation China Digital Trade report was quoted in an article by Global Times. The report, titled "The Data Revolution:… Read More