Foreign Direct Investment research
There is a strong positive relationship between trade and investment. Trade induces foreign direct investment (FDI) and vice-versa, impacting growth. Our research measures the impact of FDI on economic growth in Asian economies and discusses policies for better FDI.
Developing China: The Remarkable Impact of Foreign Direct Investment
In 2015, the Hinrich Foundation commissioned Professor Michael J. Enright to lead a major research project identifying the impact of foreign direct investment on China’s economic development. Using economic impact analysis and econometric models, the resulting research showed that the impact was far greater than generally understood, and that most multinational companies vastly underestimated their own impact on China’s economy.
Hinrich Foundation thought leadership
Hinrich Foundation White Paper: A Profitable Partnership Under Stress: Why it makes sense to ratchet-down US-China trade tensionsIn 2017, we interviewed MNC executives doing business in China and analyzed publicly available financial data for 22 MNCs with substantial operations in China to review the benefits of China-US trade for US companies. Our objective was to provide a firmer factual basis for a discussion of the US- China economic relationship. The paper concluded that the likelihood for a period of trade turbulence between the United States and China was greater than any time in recent memory, but that the partnership between US companies and China has been on balance immensely profitable for both parties.
Our other FDI related articles
- How the Philippines can use sustainability to attract FDI
- Export-led growth on the wane in East Asia
- What has China meant to the bottom line of US companies?
- R&D in China supporting US companies
- China’s large market increasingly important for US companies
In the news
From our resource center
Research reports from multilateral institutions
- Diplomat author Mercy Kuo regularly engages subject-matter experts, policy practitioners, and strategic thinkers across the globe for their diverse insights… Read More
Data and analytics tools